Computer Networks explained by 3Com, is a good introduction to networking. It describes what a network is, the benefits of having one, and the equipment required.
The content is comprised of several sections:
If you are new to networking this section is a good place to start. You’ll learn about:
– Networks and how they work
– The rules that govern them
– The equipment required to set up a network
– Possibilities for expanding and upgrading
– The Internet
This is the first of four installation sections, taking you step by step through setting up a network. This section will explain how to:
– Prepare your PC or laptop for connection to a network
– Upgrade drivers should you need to
This is the second of four installation sections, taking you step by step through setting up a network. This section will explain:
– How to install your first hub or switch
– How to add additional devices to a network
– How to add a device to an existing coaxial network
– How to install an OfficeConnect LAN Modem
This section will explain how to share a printer among PCs and laptops. This could be done by either:
– Installing a local printer, or
– Installing a network printer using a print server
This is the last of four installation sections, taking you step by step, through setting up a network. This section will explain how to:
– Set up file sharing on your network
– Set up e-mail on Windows 95
– Set up Internet e-mail
– Set up IP to allow connection to the Internet
Select the symptom that most closely matches the problem you are experiencing. This may take you to a further level of diagnosis or to a set of step-by-step instructions.
This section contains useful information and website addresses concerning Small Business products and solutions.
And, last but not least the 3Com’s presentation contains Glossary, and Manuals.
Note: In case you don’t know, 3Com was acquired by HP on April 2010. The material might be old, but remember that the Computer Network Concepts are never obsolete.
Hope you’ll find this post informative.